Thursday, January 23, 2014

Saving the Boston Fern.....

Last fall I was at my Mom's house and it was going to freeze that night. I asked Mom is she was going to bring her fern inside so it did not freeze and she said no. She said she has tried to winter them over before and has never had any luck. Well it was such a beautiful plant that I hated to see it just die. So I took it. Rick was not to happy when he saw me carrying a huge shedding plant into his truck. With a all knowing smile Mom wished me luck as we drove away....

Well now 4 months later and lots of tender care I have  a thriving Boston Fern. When I got it I had no place to put it because it was in a hanging pot so I hung it from the curtain rod in the living room and pretty much ignored it for a couple weeks. After leafs started falling all over my living room floor I figured I better do something with it. So I took it outside and trimmed all the dead leafs off and then re-potted  it. I did a little research and found out that ferns like moist soil, humidity and should be in a north window.  Since it is winter there is not much I can do about the humidity but I was able to put it out in the porch where it gets perfect sun. I also put the pot into a bowl so I can keep water in it so the soil stays moist all the time.

So like all good daughters would do I called my Mom up and in my all knowing voice told her that I saved the plant.....

Stay warm today
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment