Thursday, January 2, 2014

A new year......

Okay I never blogged about the end of 2013 so I guess I will have to do that before moving on to the new year.  I had a wonderful seven days off. I had to work until 1:00 on Christmas day and came home to all the kids and grandkids already there. We had lots of fun eating, playing games and opening gift.
Cassie got Amy this shirt for a gift. It is perfect for Amy since she is late for EVERYTHING! She is wearing the pajama pants that I made for her. Everyone loved there pajama pants.
                                Liam and Jese playing an intense game of chess  
                                           Josie has been enjoying her doll house.

Since I had all the days off I wanted to get the coat I had bought fabric for on black Friday made. I had set aside all day Monday and Tuesday to get it sewn. Well on Monday morning I went to start sewing and my sewing machine broke! I was so upset. It was squealing like crazy so I figured it need to be oiled. So I oiled it like I have several times over the years and it did no good. So I started to take apart everything I could and oil where ever I thought it might help. But  the squealing just got louder and louder. I figured I better stop before I really broke something. My sewing machine is a Viking that is at least 30 years old. It is such a good machine so I will take it to get fixed. Of course knowing that it would not be fixed that day and knowing that I wanted to sew that day I did what anyone would do and went out and bought a new sewing machine. I went to Walmart and looked at all the machines they had. I picked a basic one out, look up the reviews on my phone and saw they were all good and bought it! It was only $140. and I figured it would be good enough to get me though until my old one gets fixed.
 So here is the machine that I got. I am happy to say that it worked pretty good. It even went though 4 layers of wool fabric without to much trouble. I was not real happy with the button hole maker. It worked just okay. I think it would work better on a thinner fabric but wool was just to much for it to handle. So overall I would say it is a good machine for the money. I will now have a spare if my old one breaks down again. I will take the old one in to get fixed the next time I go to Mankato. 
The dogs were not to happy with me spending my day in the sewing room. I had to bring one of there beds in the room so they could be by me without sitting on my lap.

I wanted to have the jacket done to wear on New Years Eve but I did not get it finished until New Years day. I think it turned out really good. I am happy with how it fits. I had to laugh when I saw the picture above because the top right button is way to high! Amy was waiting for me to finish because she wanted to use my camera but I would not let her have it until I took a couple of pictures of the coat. So I was rushing to sew the button's on and I guess I did not look to make sure I was even before I sewed the last one on. I have since taken it off and put it where it belongs :) Christa is making me a super cute hat with a matching button on it so I can really be styling when I wear it.
This year for Christmas I gave Rick tickets to see Louie Anderson on New Years Eve at the Burnsville Performing Arts Center. We had talked about going to see him other years but just never did. So I got him tickets and my friend Jane got her husband, Paul tickets too. We went out for supper first at Buca's. It was a really fun evening. Louie Anderson put on a great show. I have not laugh so hard in a long time. What is even better is that we were back in Waseca before 10:00. We are both use to going to bed early so 10:00 is a late night for us :)

Today I am back to work. I sure hated to come back. It gets harder and harder everyday to make myself go to work. If only someone would just give me a ton of money I could quit! I don't think that will happen anytime soon so I guess I will just keep on working......

Happy New Year everyone. I have high hopes that 2014 is a going to be a great year!

Later Sharon 


No comments:

Post a Comment