Sunday, May 26, 2013

Bird Haven

                               Rick putting the post in for the bird feeder
                         Bird feeders all up and hopefully squirrel proof
                                        The Baltimore Oriole feeder 
                                        My rock garden is looking pretty good
                               One of the orioles we have coming to the feeder

We put our repaired bird feeder back up today. The squirrels ate a huge hole in it this winter, I was so mad! I had to take it down and take over to Dad so he could fix it for me. After he gave me a lecture on how to take care of it better he fixed it all up. He even put some metal over the parts that the squirrels like to eat so they cannot do it again if they manage to get back on it. We moved it to the front yard so hopefully they will not be able to jump off any trees to get on it.

While we were at Dad's we got a oriole feed to put up. As soon as I got it out the orioles were all over it. I have to put new oranges and grape jelly out everyday. They are so pretty it is fun to watch them.

I should have repainted my flower pots this year but it never stops raining and they were wet so I just went ahead and put plants in them hopefully this year the dumb squirrels do not dig the plants out like last year. I filled the dirt with crush red pepper because I was told that will stop the squirrels or at least give them some very hot mouths. As you can tell I am pretty much at war with the squirrels in my yard. In my eyes the only good squirrel is a dead squirrel!

My rock garden looks so nice this year. The hostas are really looking nice. Last year was so dry that they did not look so good by the end of the summer. Of course it is pretty hard to kill a hosta plant. Hopefully I get some flowers on my iris plants this year. Last year they got huge but never flowered.
I am working on getting the rest of my flowers planted but I ran out of soil and of course now it is raining. I can only hope that tomorrow will be a little dryer.

I got some paint yesterday to paint the picnic table and the swing. I am going to paint them emerald green. It is the color of the year. I wanted to have something a little brighter then just brown! Of course there will be no painting until it drys out. The stupid rain is really messing with my weekend plans. I am sure in about two days we will have so many mosquitoes in the yard that we will not be able to go outside at all.

Yesterday Rick and I went to Star Trek. It was very good! I loved watching Star Trek when I was a kid on TV. They movies are really fun to watch.

Later Sharon 

No comments:

Post a Comment