Thursday, April 18, 2013

Living in the bubble



I was a news junky. I read the newspaper from cover to cover everyday, I read CNN on the computer and watched the local news and national news at least once a day. I had several news stations booked marked on my computer and went to them at least once a day. I read Time Magazine and any other news magazine I got my hands on.  Then a few years ago I stopped watching the news on TV. It was just so sad. Nine out of ten stories were about war, some tragic death or how bad the economy is. It seemed like they rarely had a happy story. Then I stopped reading the news papers other then our local news paper. I still get Time magazine but find that I hardly look at it. I will look at CNN about once a week but again I am always struck by how sad most of the stories are.

So I have been living in a news bubble. It was a pleasant place, I could pretty much just pretend the world was a happy place and there was not war and killings going on everyday.

Well on Monday the news hit me in the face. I was just so sad to hear about the bombing at the Boston Marathon. It just hit so close to home. The girls and I have done several races and some of them very big races with lots and lots of people at them. I know how you much time you put into training and how crossing that finish line is such huge deal. It is suppose to be a happy thing. Now this horrible person has ruined it for all of those people and there families.  I just cannot understand how anyone could do something so bad. What makes someone so bitter and full of hate that they would set a bomb off with no concern of who they are going to kill and hurt. I hope they catch the person that is responsible and I hope he pays for all the pain he has caused. But even that will never be enough for what he has taken away from all the families that were there running the race or just there to support the runners. It just makes me sad.....

So I am going to go back to living in my bubble. I am going to pretend that it safe to go where I want and do what I want without worrying that some crazy person is going to do to me or the people I love harm. It is okay to enjoy life and not dwell on all the heartache in the world. I will not live in fear.  It is what I need to do. We all need to show these crazy, full of hate, bitter people that they cannot stop us. We will go on and we will live to run another race......

Living in the bubble
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment