Thursday, May 15, 2014

Day Full of Memories


One of the best memories I have of my Grandma Trenda was her kolacky's.  I could always count on her  having  some made every time we visited her and if she came to see us she always brought some with her to share. The picture above is Grandma's recipe that she wrote out for me years ago. Now that she is gone I treasure it even more.

Well for a few years now Christa and Amy have been asking my Mom to come over and teach us all how to make kolacky's. It just never seemed to work out. Well this past Sept. when we were at one of the many funerals we had to go to Amy decided that we need to set a date and do it. We agreed that it would be fun to have all the aunts come over too and make a family baking day of it. We got a date set and were ready to go. Of course that date got changed several time before we finally made it happen.

My Mom, Aunt Sandi, Aunt Monie, Amy and Christa all came to my house bright and early on Monday morning


Aunt Sandi took the lead roll on showing us just how it was done. She is a pro at it.
                             She took us through it step by step
This is my favorite pictures from the day. My Mom, Sandi and Monie are reading out of book that I had Grandma Trenda fill out for me years and years ago called Grandmother Remembers. It is full of family pictures and stories about Grandma. It was fun to see and hear them read it out loud. They even found out things they did not know about Grandma. 
                           Sandi getting the kolacky's ready be filled
                     Showing us how to fold them over

Aunt Monie took the easy way and used frozen bread dough for her batch.
                         A pan full of kolacky's
         Sandi showing Amy how to wrap them up. Amy got it down pretty good!
          Grandma Becker taking a break and reading Oliver a story or two
I pulled out all my recipes and found all the ones that Grandma Trenda had written out. It fun to talk about them all and the memories of Grandma making them for us.
                                     Waiting to rise and get baked.

Sandi also made us some cinnamon rolls from the dough she made.


This picture got out of order. It is Amy doing her best to fold the dough over.
                               Christa, Mom and Aunt Monie
                                                     The Finished product!!!!
                            Oliver's very first bite of a kolacky. He loved it!!

I cannot express how much this day meant to me and to Christa and Amy. Not only did we learn how to make kolacky's we also had lot of laughs. There were so much talk about Grandma that day. We all hope she was watching from heaven and had a smile on her face knowing that a family tradition was being carried on.

When I took a bite of a kolacky that day the memories of Grandma flooded back. Aunt Sandi made the kolacky perfect they tasted just like Grandmas.

It was a perfect day and I am so happy that Amy and Christa insisted that we do it.

Later Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment