Thursday, September 19, 2013

Upcycling part two.....

So we are getting closer to getting done with the entryway remodel. As promised I have pictures of my upcycled screen door. The above picture is of the door when I got it. I had already removed the old screen and just cleaned it off. It had about 20 years of dirt and dust on it.
I decided that I wanted it to look old to go with our barn wood wall so I used Weathered Crackle Glaze to get the look. I was pretty nervous about using it because I wanted it to look good. I did the back side first since I figured no one would ever see it. Since it was already painted I got to skip that step and move onto applying the crackle glaze. I let it dry for 2 hours and then painted it with flat white paint and the crackling began. I love the way it turned out!

Next Rick took it to Waseca Glass and had them put a full length mirror on the back of it. Lastly Rick installed it in the house. We replaced the bi-fold closet doors in the coat closet in the entryway. I think it looks perfect with the wall. 

Now onto the steps This is a picture of the steps and railing that we took out. When we moved in we were not sure what we wanted to do with the steps so we just put some left over carpet from the living room on them. I have hated the railing since we moved in so I was happy to see it go.
Well we found out that picking out a new railing and post was no fun. The post and spindles are not cheap! After going from store to store and back again we finally decided what to do. We did not buy the pre-made stairway post. Instead we just bought fence post and cut them to size and then I varnished them. It was a much cheaper way to go and they look great. We decided to go with the iron spindles. They had a $3.00 rebate on each of them so that saved us a lot of money. We need 23 of them to meet stairway regulations. We still have not decided what we are going to do with the floor where we removed the planter on the top of the steps. The picture below is when the railing is pretty much done. It is so much more open then the old wood railing and stone planter that was there before.  
And now to the steps. We decided to do pine for the stair treads and use barn wood for the toe kicks. I again just varnished the pine. I love the look of the light pine against the dark barn wood. 
                                       Here is a couple more pictures of the done look


We don't have very good lighting in the house for pictures so I took one with the flash and one without so you can see all the colors in the wood.
Lastly I wanted to paint the door. As you can see it was painted with brown paint that they had tried to do some type of antiquing on. It was not a very good look. Of course I could not decide what color I wanted so I got a ton of samples and then just started painting them on the door. After looking at them for two days I finally picked out some colors.
I went with red for the outside of the door. I have always wanted a red door and I think it looks good with brick on the front of the house.
For the inside of the door I went with a dark turquoise. I was going to go with a lighter turquoise but after looking at the sample that I had painted on the door I decided it was just too light for the rest of the look in the house. Rick also replaced the old trim around the door and on baseboards with barn wood.
So there you have it. This weekend the steps going down to the basement will get done and then the entryway will be complete. It was a lot of work but well worth it!

Later Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment