Thursday, October 1, 2015

Pomegranate Crazy.....

 So on our last Bountiful Basket order they had 16 pound of pomegranates for $15.00 . I got super excited because I love pomegranates! Then I thought 16 pounds is a lot. So I looked it up  and found out I could freeze them. So I thought to myself that $15.00 for 16 pounds is a really good price you can't pass it up. It is not going to be that bad cleaning them......

Well when they came on Saturday they came in a 28 pound box!!! That was 42 pomegranates. I little more then I bargained for.


 So on Tuesday I stated cleaning. If you have never cleaned a pomegranate let me tell you it is a tedious job. You have to cut the bottom and top off then quarter it. Then you start picking the seeds out. You do this in a bowl of water so the seeds fall to the bottom and all the waste floats up. Once I had the seeds out I rinsed them off and then put them on cookie sheets  to freeze.  Once they were frozen I put them into bags. I did if for about 4 hours on Tuesday and then started again on Wednesday afternoon for another 4 hours. My fingers looked like prunes when I was done. And they were stained! I had to scrub and scrub to get it all off.

But in the end it was all worth it. I got 11 quart bags full to freeze. And I have 3 that I cleaned and put in the fridge to eat right away.

I think it is going to be awhile before I decide I need to clean 28 pounds of pomegranates :)

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment