Friday, May 22, 2015

Fitbit Obsession....

 This is the Fitbit that I have, its the Fitbit One. I wanted this one because I can clip it to my bra and pretty much wear it all the time. I did not want the one you wear on your wrist because I knew I would take it off if I was dressed up etc.
My obsession started when I got my new Iphone. The phone came with a app that tracks your steps. It was fun to see how many steps I was actually taking or not taking everyday. I found out I was not taking nearly as many steps everyday then I should be. You should be taking 10,000 steps everyday.

I had become lazy.... I stopped running last spring after I got blisters on the bottom of my feet. I had on the same  brand running shoes that I have worn for years but for some reason the new pair gave me blisters. I have always been able to put the new pair on with no trouble before.  It took forever for them to heal because they were on the bottom of my heals . I had to put bandaids over them every time I tried to do anything. Then when the blisters finally healed and I tried to start running again my knees, hips and feet hurt so much I decided I was done with it.  Then I stopped lifting in December because my wrist and hands hurt so much from my carpal tunnel.

Yes I had become lazy and full of excuses as to why I was not exercising. I was pretty much in the worst shape I have been in since I started my obsessive exercising in 2005.

Now the Fitbit has entered my life. I joined the Fitbit nation on December 27, 2014. I asked Rick to get my one for Christmas. I wanted something I could keep on me all the time unlike my phone. I don't have my phone in my pocket unless I am at work.

 At first it was just fun to see how far I was walking. I was not really pushing myself, I figured if I walked 10,000 steps a few times a week it was all good. I would walk/run on the treadmill a couple times a week and call it good.  Then when we had the first hot spell for the spring and I was trying on all my shorts and they were tight! I was not happy and I knew it was time to start moving and stop eating icecream every night.

So I was off. I started walking around campus more while I was at work and started taking walks after work. I also was finally able to start lifting again since my surgery went great and my hands are pretty much healed.

Then I discovered that you can add friend to your Fitbit and see how you rank against them for the past 7 days. Now I have to be accountable. Nothing like a little competition to get me motivated. I don't want to be embarrassed.....everyone can see if I am being lazy now :)

So it is time to move, move , move! I even ran a little on my days off. I don't think I will be able to go back to running like I use to, it just hurts to much, but I can do a little run walking.

Another bonus to walking all the time is I get to spend more time with Rick. If he does not have anyone coming over for strings he is always game to do some 4 mile walks with me. I don't think the dogs are enjoying our increased walking schedule as much as me.

Happy Walking.....
Sharon


No comments:

Post a Comment