Monday, June 26, 2017

Phase One Of Dental Implant Done.....



Today I went to the Oral Surgeon and had the root of my missing front tooth pulled out and the post for the implant put in. For those of you that don't know I knocked my front tooth out a couple of months ago when I tried to open a package with my teeth. I will never do that again!

I was not sure they would be able to put the post in today until they took the root out. They had to make sure the bone was good and I did not need any grafting. I was super happy that no grafting was needed and the post was placed.

I was given the choice of being put under or local anesthetic. I choose the local anesthetic. The dentist assured me that it really was not going to be that bad. He said the worse part would be the shots of anesthetic. Since I had remember how painful it is to have those needles put in the front of my mouth from when I had my front teeth crowned I ask for a little nitrous oxide (laughing gas) I figured it would take my anxiety away about getting the shots. I have never used nitrous oxide before so I did not really know what to expect. I have to say it is great. It relaxed me right up!

The whole procedure took just over an hour. The tooth/root pulling was super quick and did not hurt at all. Once he decided that my bone was good and heathy I was moved into the surgery room. Again it was pain free and pretty quick. I do have to say the drilling into my jaw bone was a little unsettling. It was just odd hearing it and feeling the vibration. Once the hole was made the post was screwed into place. A couple stitches were put in and I was on  my way.

The dentist asked me if I wanted pain pills and I declined. He said I should not need them to just take Ibuprofen as soon as I get home. So 5 hours later I am happy to say that I am having very little pain. I cannot wear my flipper tooth for a couple days to help with the healing and also have to be on an antibiotic for 10 days.

Now I have to wait...the bone will grow around the post and it will all heal up. It will be 2 to 4 months before I can have the the next step done. When it is heal they will screw another post to the implanted post and that will be what the crown will attach to. Once the crown is in place it will look and be just like a real tooth.

So all and all it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. By the end of year I should have a good as new tooth......hopefully

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment