Friday, June 28, 2024

"Your home should tell the story of who you are, and be a collection of what you love." -Nate Berkus

 When we purchased this house we knew it had a history of water damage. Knowing that one of the first things we did was have American Water Works come in and do a lot of work. We had a new beaver system put in and one sub-pump was replaced by three with a battery backup. It was a huge mess when the job was being done but it was worth it! With all of the rain and flooding we have gotten over the past month, we have not had a drop of water in the basement. The basement was an empty slate just waiting for us to make it our own. Once the water prevention work was done it was our turn to get to work. 


This is a picture of the channel the workers had to jackhammer out for part of the new beaver system. 


I wish I had taken more pictures of the basement when we moved in but life was pretty hard for us when we first moved in, so no photos were taken. 


Here are a few pictures that I took during the construction. As you can see it is a room that runs the length of the whole house. 


The previous owners had the walls braced after it had been flooded. After the walls were fixed, they had spray foam insulation installed. That is all the white that you see on the walls.  We removed the tile on the floor before the beaver system was put in. 



The next big decision we had to make was how we wanted to use the space. We went back and forth on what would work best and finally, after much debate, we had a plan. 



We sectioned the room off for a living space and a workout room. 



Under the staircase was a storage room with a tiny doorway into the laundry room. It was such a wasted space. We have a huge storage room on the other side of the basement. So after much talking Rick into it, the space under the stairs became a reading nook. 


The sheetrock getting installed. 




I won't lie, Rick did 90% of the work in the basement. The photo above happened when Rick asked me to help him put up a piece of sheetrock. I may have dropped it on the floor smashing the corner. 



Installing the flooring. 



Otis decided that this space was going to be his. 



So here you have it, The finished basement. 




This is the game area. We had this little table in our old house. It makes the perfect game table. 




And this is my pride and joy! I am so happy with how it turned out. 


Anyone who knows me knows that I am an avid reader. So this space brings me so much joy. 






Cassie and I were estate sale shopping and I came across this shelf. I knew it would be perfect. I have a little bit of our parents on the shelves. The glasses are my Dad's, the baby shoes are Rick's Dad's and of course, the picture is of my Mom when she was a teenager. The little blue bird was my Grandma Becker's and I made the cornhusk doll when I was a child. So many memories on the shelf ๐Ÿ’•


Lastly is the workout room. 


I like to call this our wall of fame ๐Ÿ˜„



Everything turned out so good. Every evening when we make our way downstairs I look around and I am instantly relaxed and filled with joy. Rick worked so hard to bring it all together. I was full of ideas and he made them all come true. 

I am so lucky...
Sharon 






No comments:

Post a Comment